Thursday, July 3, 2014

Designer Profile: Jean Pierre Tohme

My Dearest Beauties,

I present to you Jean Pierre Tohme an up and coming 23 year old Lebanese designer that specializes in couture gowns. I had a little chat with him and thought I would share the details so you can get to know him a bit better.

1.Tell me a little about yourself. 

My dad was a freelance tailor in Ghazir that was well known for his strong patterns. As I grew up I used to spend most of my time at the atelier, observing, cutting whatever piece of fabric I liked. My dad didn't really like it because he would have preferred me to be an engineer or a doctor but not a fashion designer because he knew that the industry was and is saturated with competition and to make your own way is very difficult. I still wanted to become a fashion designer so when I graduated school, I enrolled in CAMM. My first year at CAMM was very easy because I knew the names of fabrics, I knew how to sew and cut garments from scratch. That's when I got the idea of a couture lab, because I was looking for ways to make fashion from anything and everything, I wanted to make the clothes wearable and commercial even if they were made from unusual things. Even though I was doing well in university, at the beginning of the second year my dad started to get sick and financial difficulties started to come our way, on the parallel and thankfully I started getting clients from nowhere, so I started supporting my work and my family which was not easy at all, but my faith was always strong. So I was doing school, doing freelance and supporting my family and my father's treatment all at once, thankfully it all came together almost effortlessly, I would start a dress and I wouldn't even know how or when I'd be all done with it. 

2. What does fashion mean to you?

Fashion is my life.

4. How long does it usually take you to construct a collection?

When I finish one I immediately start the next without even noticing, sometimes I bring bits and pieces from the current collection to the next.

5. Who are your biggest sources of inspiration? 

I'm very inspired my the little things that happen in my life everyday. 

6. Who are some of your favorite designers?

Elie Saab because I identify with his story a lot, Stephan Roland and Maison Martin Margiela.

7. Define the Jean Pierre Couture Lab lady.

A lady that feels great in her own skin and that feels like my designs or any other design only make her feel like herself, not anything or anyone else. I love making custom made dresses that define her spirit and her character. 

8. What do you believe makes a quality article of clothing?

The process and the time invested in the piece more than the actual material, and the combination of stuff, because out of experience even the best materials used incorrectly will not make a valuable and high quality garment.

Here are some of his designs, but make sure to follow him on social media to stay updated:

Facebook
Instagram
JPCoutureLab







What are your thoughts? Leave them down in the comments!

Much love,

Samar

No comments:

Post a Comment