Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Seriously Dramatic Smoky Eye

My Dearest Beauties,
Let’s create a seriously dramatic smoky eye together! A smoky eye is a very sexy makeup look, when done right! It should have the staying power and the right shades. I am, by no means, a professional makeup artist but I humbly think my smoky eye is sexy and decent enough. Ironic much?!

What you will need first is to apply a base. It could be a primer or a creamy shadow that sets and doesn't move like the Maybelline 24HR Color Tattoo that I used first. For a smoky eye, you don’t necessarily have to go for black shadow. In the contrary, using brown gives you the same effects with a softer edge. With that said, let us begin!

1.      I started off by applying Maybelline 24HR Color Tattoo in two shades. I went for the light shade in the inner half of the lid in the shade “Infinite White” and the darker shade on the outer half of the lid and on the lower lash line; I used the shade “Immortal Charcoal”. I blended the edges very well before moving on.








2.      I placed a light brown shadow over the top of the grey base from the NYX All I’ve Wanted Box. (I will be circling the used color so that you have an idea of what kind of color you can use from your own collection)
3.      Then I went for a very dark brown blended on the outer V of the eye into the crease all the way to the inner corner. This will give definition and depth to the eyes. I also dragged some of this dark shadow onto the lower lash line. That will achieve the mysterious, sexy and almost sleepy look we are trying to get from a smoky eye.
4.      My lovely girl Rita whom was super sweet to volunteer for the smoky eye loves her liner. So, I went in with Gel Intenza Eyeliner by L’oreal on the upper lash line and in the inner rims of the eye. I secured this in place with matte black shadow.





5.      I finished off by highlighting the inner corner of the eye with a shimmery white eye shadow by Dior in the shade Swan #006. And of course, tons of my favorite L’oreal Black Laquer Mascara.

6.      Note that I didn’t apply any face makeup until I was done with the look. That is because I wanted to avoid any fall out to ruin the flawless base that I was trying to achieve. A flawless complexion and a nude lip are a smoky eye’s best friend.






Make sure that whatever shadow you apply to your eyes needs to be blended indefinitely so it looks like you were naturally born with a smoky eye on. Use a different brush to blend rather than use the same brush that you used to apply the color onto the eyelids. Make sure to set your under eye concealer with powder to prevent the look from melting and smudging all over the place. I am not fond of panda eyes. I don’t think you are either. Not that, panda bears are not cute but they rock it better than we ever will.

This is the dramatic version of the look, but you can use less amount of product and more blending to achieve a softer day time smoky look. I hope you enjoy recreating this. Please leave your comments and constructive criticism in the comment box below.

Gros Bisous,
Samar xx

4 comments: