Monday, April 15, 2013

It's not a Fairytale


It’s not a Fairytale
Setting: Kate’s bedroom on a Saturday afternoon at around 2:00 p.m.
Characters:
NOAH: 22, fresh university graduate. Arrogant macho man. Stubborn.
Kate: 21, senior in college, typical girl next door. Very sweet.
(Noah laying down on the bed, Kate coming out of the bathroom)
NOAH: where do you want to go tonight, babe? I feel like dancing.
KATE: I don’t know baby anywhere you want as long as we’re together we’ll have fun right? (She approaches the bed sits next to him and holds his hand).
NOAH:  of course honey, we always do and always will. I’ll think of somewhere fun. (smiles at her)
KATE: yeah, I guess we’ll always be happy and have fun together… (says it with a long sigh)
NOAH: anyway, let’s go grab something to eat now I didn’t have breakfast this morning and I’m starving. (looks at his phone to call and reserve a place for the night while Kate looks at him with an upset look. He calls and speaks). Hello, can I please reserve a table for two… yeah we’ll be there at around 10… yes only two…  Noah Jones… thank you bye. (shuts the phone, looks at Kate)  you heard me babe right? Be ready at like 9:30 alright… with all your exams it has been ages since we didn’t go partying around.
KATE: (not concentrating on what he’s saying) yeah I did really well in my exams, I still have finals next month and I finally graduate. Then we can finally move in together. (says it thoughtfully)
NOAH: (laughs out of confusion) honey, I’m talking about taking a break and having fun and all you think of is moving in together?
KATE: (with a low tone) Ahy Noah I don’t know anything. I don’t know what to think anymore.
NOAH: (with a startled look) Katie what’s wrong? Are you alright?
KATE: (with her hand on her forehead looking worried) Noah!
NOAH: (worried asks again) what’s on your mind Katie? What worries you?
KATE: baby I just hope you support me like I know you will. I at least think so.
NOAH: yeah baby… of course I’ll support you with anything… I’m here for you to listen to whatever is on your mind. (Sits up, still holding her hand, looks at her in the eyes with support)
KATE: (takes a deep breath and goes on) do you really love me like you say you do?
NOAH: (puts his arms around her) of course I do baby, aren’t you sure? (worried asks again) Why are you asking love? Is anything wrong?
KATE: Noah, ahhmm I didn’t get my period last month…I still didn’t get it this month… (Noah cuts her)
NOAH: (anxiously) and?? What does that mean?
KATE: (pauses thoughtfully) Noah I’m pregnant.
NOAH: (in shock) hah?!?! WHAT?!?
KATE: (with a louder tone) I am pregnant, Noah.
NOAH: (lays back down in shock, looks at the ceiling) but wait how can you be so sure? Did you see the doctor, take a test, I don’t know something!?!?! (His tone gets louder and more nervous)
KATE: yeah!! I just did the test… it came out positive. (Gets on her feet facing the bed and starts biting her nails nervously)
NOAH: oh my GOD! Baby we are screwed (gets up and shuts the door of the room) We’re really screwed!! Damn it! What are we going to do?
KATE: calm down baby! I think we can figure it out. (doesn’t sound very convincing but she tries to look as put together as she can)
NOAH: figure what out?!?! (with a loud tone) I’m only 22. I don’t want to be a father. I don’t even have a decent job yet!! (starts walking nervously around the room) I have a whole life ahead of me and you tell me you’re pregnant! (beat) What are you talking about??
KATE: (loud tone) you have a life ahead of you?!?! What about me? (beat) What about us…
NOAH:  (cuts Kate off) aren’t you taking your pills? How can you do such a mistake? (holds her by her arms) God, this cannot be happening to us!
KATE: Noah, love, it is our baby. We’ll make it through… (Noah cuts her off)
NOAH: through what Kate? (staring into her eyes) you should’ve been careful Kate.
KATE: but Noah… (disappointment starts to show on her face)
NOAH: Kate (beat) you are pregnant do you realize the gravity of the problem? (holding her arms)
KATE: why is it a problem? (Looking straight into his eyes with a look of hope) I’m not saying it is going to be easy but it is not the end of the world… (Beat) we’ve been together for four years and we love each other, I know you love me baby you’ve shown me your love and loyalty over the years. (Beat) May be this happened for a reason! (Beat) for us to start something…
NOAH: something like what…??
KATE: something like a family, marriage. May be this happened to bring us closer… (long pause from both) baby haven’t you ever thought about forming a family with me? I always thought we’d at least move in together after we graduated. (hope in her tone and a straight face)
NOAH: no way Kate, I do not want to get married… not now… (angry but calm tone and face) of course I think of marriage Kate but it is at the end of my priority list right now…
KATE: (louder tone, shocked) what do you mean you don’t want to get married? (beat) do four years mean absolutely nothing to you?
NOAH: (looks away, not at her) I’m telling you this wasn’t in my plans…
KATE: (starts to get desperate and more disappointed) you mean you never planned for a future with me?!?!
NOAH: (looks back at her) certainly not this way (beat) listen we have to solve it (beat) let us think straight… (thoughtfully says) we can either get rid of it or may be give it for adoption… (Kate starts getting angry and even more and more confused)
KATE: (shouts) WHAT?!?! You know this wasn’t a mistake… my mistake was of ever thinking of a future with you, trusting you, trusting an irresponsible jerk!!! (Sits on the bed, and wipes her tears of anger, confusion, and sadness)(Beat) Noah (Beat) I’m not that kind of girl that is in a relationship for this long gives so much up and ends up being at the end of the priority list!!! I thought you loved me enough to support me… (starts crying)
NOAH: (sits next to her and puts his arm around her) listen to yourself Katie… this is not good for the both of us (tries to sound convincing) we are not in a fairytale. A child is a huge responsibility…
KATE: (removes his arm and talks in disappointment) I can’t believe this is you talking. (Beat) I can’t believe I was so stupid to actually think you’d support me and take it in a mature way. (Beat) it’s like I don’t even know you (beat) I thought we’d go through anything together (wiping her tears) I can’t believe you’re being so selfish.
NOAH: I’m not being selfish, I’m just realistic.
KATE: (cold tone) this is you being selfish not realistic (beat) you’re just thinking about your life. (Pause, starts saying with a raised tone) Everything is always about you. Your happiness. Your career. Your goals. What you feel like doing tonight!!!! Everything.
NOAH: (gets angry but tries to be calm, breathes heavily) let’s not lose focus Katie it is not about you and me right now, it is about you being pregnant… (Silence, Kate is angry but remains in silence)  Katie your parents won’t support you either, you know them better than me, and they are strict and wouldn’t be okay with these kind of situation. Did you think of that? Did you think of how you’re going to tell your beloved daddy that your pregnant!?!?
KATE: (starts to cry) Noooaah, I know they’ll support me as soon as they know that you’re with me in this. (Beat) Noah it is our child, how can you even think of giving it up?
NOAH: honey, you are only 21. You have seen nothing of life. Do you really want to be home all day taking care of a child?
KATE: this child means much more than that. It means us having to take our relationship more seriously and that is what you’re scared of. I still cannot believe I was such a fool all along. (cries and walks around the room). I don’t even know why I trusted you.
NOAH: (soft, loving tone) Katie, the best is for us to end this, we are not fit to be parents yet… don’t you have goals you want to achieve in life? (beat) a baby is a lot of responsibility, it is expensive to raise a child these days… your parents will not be happy about this either…
KATE: (looks up at him and says) one of my goals was to form a family with you but we certainly are not on the same page on this. And it seems like we won’t be on the same page for anything from now on. Noah, I’m keeping this child and you are the father whether you like it or not, you can either walk away or you can stay to support me. (Beat) and I’m going through with this whether you here with me or away.
NOAH: baby I love you, you don’t understand… (She interrupts him)
KATE: Noah just leave! (He picks up his jacket and walks to the door) I guess you were right it’s not a fairytale…
NOAH: just think about what I said… (approaches the door)
KATE: (cuts him off) please close the door behind you…

No comments:

Post a Comment